If you have vulval irritation that persists, you should see a doctor.

Sometimes a small biopsy is required to diagnose certain conditions like lichen sclerosis or Vulval Intraepithelial Neoplasia. These are benign conditions, but if not treated correctly, are associated with the development of cancer of the vulva over a period of time.

If a biopsy is required, this is easily done under local anaesthetic with minimum discomfort to you.